Our flagship program, CYSO orchestras include three string ensembles and four full orchestra ensembles (strings, winds, brass, percussion, harp). Students learn from some of Chicago’s most respected music educators and perform in top venues including Symphony Center’s Orchestra Hall, Millennium Park’s Jay Pritzker Pavilion, University of Chicago’s Logan Center for the Arts, and Northwestern’s Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.
ORCHESTRA AUDITION INFORMATION
- Orchestras are open to students who will be entering 1st-12th grade.
- Audition registration applications are due by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, April 7, 2021
- Audition videos are due by 11:59 PM on Monday, April 12, 2021
- Rehearsals are held on Saturday (elementary, intermediate, advanced ensembles) and Sunday (most advanced ensembles).
- All students are required to prepare two contrasting pieces for their audition. To be considered for the advanced Sunday ensembles, students must also prepare the CYSO-provided excerpts. See audition requirements for complete details.
- Results are announced via email by June 1st, 2021, and all students will be notified regardless of outcome.
Additional enrichment program opportunities include chamber music, composition seminar, steel orchestras, masterclasses, and international touring. See the CYSO Program Guide for a full list of programs.