Our flagship program, CYSO orchestras include three string ensembles and four full orchestra ensembles (strings, winds, brass, percussion, harp). Students learn from some of Chicago’s most respected music educators and perform in top venues including Symphony Center’s Orchestra Hall, Millennium Park’s Jay Pritzker Pavilion, University of Chicago’s Logan Center for the Arts, and Northwestern’s Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.
ORCHESTRA AUDITION INFORMATION
- Orchestras are open to students who will be entering 1st-12th grade.
- Rehearsals are held on Saturday (elementary, intermediate, advanced ensembles) and Sunday (most advanced ensembles).
- New student auditions take place in April. Candidates are assigned a 5-8 minute audition time, and may be asked to sight read.
- Students should prepare two contrasting pieces for their audition. To be considered for the advanced Sunday ensembles, students should also prepare the CYSO-provided excerpts. See audition requirements for complete details.
- Results are announced via email by June 1, and all students will be notified regardless of outcome.
Additional enrichment program opportunities include chamber music, composition seminar, steel orchestras, masterclasses, and international touring. See the CYSO Program Guide for a full list of programs.